Vanilla Pancakes With Mixed Berry Compote Recipe
Pancakes are a classic and comforting breakfast staple that adults and children love. One batch can serve the entire family, and they take only a few minutes to assemble. Add fresh berry compote to the mix, and you're left with a satisfyingly sweet and wholesome meal or dessert.
This delightful vanilla pancake recipe takes just 40 minutes to make, from mixing the batter to cooking the pancakes and adding the mixed berry compote. It yields 10 servings, so you can share with family or enjoy the pancakes yourself over a few days!
Before you begin cooking, gather all of your ingredients. This will help you save time and reduce the risk of burning food sitting on the stove as you search for other ingredients.
Vanilla Pancake Ingredients
Gather the following ingredients for the vanilla pancakes:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mixed Berry Compote Ingredients
For the berry compote, gather these ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups fresh mixed berries of your choice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
Now it's on to the fun part! You'll start by mixing up your pancake batter since it has to rest for a while. If you make the compote first, the sauce will thicken, preventing you from getting that satisfying drizzle you want.
Grab your measuring cups and spoons to measure your ingredients. Add the dry ingredients — flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt — in a large mixing bowl. Pour the wet ingredients, including the milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract, into a separate mixing bowl, and mix together using a whisk. Once the wet ingredients are combined, create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, and pour the wet mixture into the well. Mix the dry and wet ingredients well until you're left with a smooth batter. Allow the batter to rest for about 20 minutes before moving on to the next step.
Heat a non-stick griddle or stainless steel skillet on your stovetop over medium heat. Once the griddle or skillet has heated up, add a sprinkle of water to ensure it's hot enough for cooking. If the water moves around as a single unit, the skillet or griddle is hot and ready for cooking. If it fizzes, the pan is not ready yet.
Use a soup ladle or a measuring cup to portion pancake batter onto the griddle or skillet. To prevent the pancakes from sticking to one another, make a few at a time. Cook the pancakes for 2-3 minutes. Once you see bubbles start forming on the tops of the pancakes, you know that they're ready to flip! After flipping the pancakes using a turner, let them cook for another minute or so until golden brown.
Mixed Berry Compote
First, rinse your berries and chop them using a large cutting board and a chef or paring knife. Add your berries, lemon juice, and honey or maple syrup to your saucepan, and heat the saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the mixture for about 6 minutes or until a sauce forms in the pan. Stir continuously to ensure the berries reduce evenly. Once cooked, remove the saucepan from the stovetop.
Drizzle the compote over the pancakes, and voila! You have simple and delicious vanilla and berry compote berries.
A mixed berry compote is the ultimate topping for fluffy pancakes. It offers the perfect amount of acidity and sweetness, and using honey or maple syrup as a sweetner makes the compote a more healthy and wholesome topping.
If you want to try more toppings or do not have enough time to make a compote, here is a list of optional toppings you can add in a pinch:
- Fresh berries: Instead of making a compote, top your pancakes with fresh berries, a drizzle of honey and mint to garnish.
- Bananas and maple syrup: The creaminess of the banana paired with maple syrup will satisfy any sweet tooth.
- Mixed nuts and honey: Crunchy pecans, almonds, cashews and pistachios create a textural element and an earthy burst of flavor.
- Peanut butter: While we are on the topic of nuts, peanut butter is a great addition to your breakfast treat. Add it between two pancakes and create a sandwich your whole family will approve of.
- Greek yogurt: Yogurt is another creamy topping that mixes well with many toppings, including nuts, berries and honey.
- Bacon: For a savory twise, add a sprinkle of bacon bits to your pancakes, and top with maple syrup.
Read through these cooking tips to ensure you create mouthwatering pancakes every time:
- Avoid over-mixing your batter: If you mix your batter too much, your pancake will become flat and chewy.
- Leave the lumps: If you see a few lumps in your pancake, that's perfectly fine. Trying to get the lumps out might lead to over-mixing your batter.
- Keep your pancakes warm: Put your pancakes in an oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit until you cook the rest of your pancakes.
- Watch your pancakes: Pancake cook quickly, so you'll want to keep an eye on them to ensure you end up with golden brown, fluffy pancakes.
- Flip your pancakes at the right time: If you do not see any bubbles, do not flip your pancake yet! This means that the pancake is not ready.
- Thin your compote: To create a thinner compote, you can add water or apple juice.
- Stir gently: Keep the shape of your berries intact by stirring your compote gently while it reduces in the saucepan.
- Serve your compote another day: If you didn't finish all your delicious compote, that's okay. Pour it into a mason jar, and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
Boost Your Recipes With Saladmaster Cookware
Turn your homecooked meals into 5-star dishes packed with flavor with Saladmaster cookware. Our quality cookware and utensils are proven to help you prepare delicious meals every time you step into the kitchen. Through waterless cooking, you can preserve the rich flavor of ingredients as well as their minerals and nutrients to ensure that your meals are as healthy as ever. Made with stainless steel and titanium, you can also pass down your cookware to your children along with family-favorite recipes for many years to come.
You can get your very own Saladmaster cookware from one of our local and international dealerships. To get in touch with one of our local authorized dealerships, complete a contact form today.