Five Reasons to Stay Home & Cook This Weekend
The weekend is the time we reward ourselves for surviving long, productive work weeks. And for that reward, we typically default to a night out at a favourite restaurant with a few close friends. But maybe there's another way to unwind and treat yourself and your friends to an evening that offers just a little more. And maybe it starts in your kitchen. Just maybe staying home and cooking dinner can be a more enjoyable, affordable, memorable way to spend a Friday night. Here's why.
1. You control the space. When you're at home, you decide what music you want and how loud you want it. You control the temperature, the guests and the kind of seating you want. Your dinner crew can get as loud as they want — maybe belt out a few pop songs if the occasion calls for it. At a restaurant, you're at the mercy of the establishment and its guests, which may not be conducive to everyone's moods.
2. Cooking can be as much fun as eating. Include everyone in the kitchen. Decide ahead of time what the menu is and who's bringing what. Let there be tasting, sampling — even a little spilling. It's okay when you're with friends...and when everyone participates in the meal, there's less pressure on you.
3. The conversation flows. A dinner at home is much more suitable to intimate conversations, or even a few friendly debates. There's no restaurant noise to shout over. It's your place, you can relax and talk about whatever you want, including a little politics - if you're brave.
4. You save money. Add up the cost of an entire meal for a party of eight at your favourite restaurant. Then compare that number to the cost of cooking a meal at home for the same number of friends. The home-cooked meal will always cost significantly less, especially when everyone pitches in.
5. You can relax, there are no rules. When you stay home and cook, you can ditch the work clothes for your favourite big sweater. Go barefoot or let your hair down. It's been long week and getting comfortable is exactly what everyone needs on a Friday night.